The German auto industry has been breathing exhaust fumes at monkeys

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/01/18, 11:26

Tue 30/01/2018 - And to men!

It's a new dirty story that the New York Times revealed. In 2014 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, a laboratory several times convicted of animal abuse, brought together in one room a Volkswagen diesel car and a dozen monkeys. The objective was to measure the effects of exhaust gas emissions on the health of these animals, since the car engine was running in this closed room, with the monkeys locked up. What seems absolutely horrible, but there is even more horrible, since it was not medical research, but a study funded by the German automotive industry, to establish the non-dangerousness of exhaust gases modern cars.

We should be able to ask the monkeys what they thought of the experience, but we know that it was not conclusive (are they all dead?), Since no results have been published. And because of this, the laboratory would not have been fully paid ...

Closer to home, in a town that was French even, in Aachen, the Stuttgarter Zeitung tells us that a medical institute made a group of 25 men breathe nitrogen dioxide (NO2) to different concentration levels, to measure the effects on their health. This second experience was comparable to classical medical research, where the guinea pigs had been informed of what they were going to be asked, and of the risks they would run. The troubling point is that in Aachen as in New Mexico, the sponsor of these experiences is an organization called Europäische Forschungsvereinigung für Umwelt und Gesundheit im Transportsektor e. V. (EUGT), which was funded 100% by German car manufacturers.

So we wonder. Do German manufacturers plan to diversify into medical care? When we get indigestion or the flu, will we go to the garage? Unfortunately, it was pure lobbying, with the objective of building arguments for if someone came to accuse the industry, in this public health problem that is air pollution. It is therefore very ugly, and we can only rejoice that the EUGT was put into liquidation in the course of 2016. It does not prevent that at a time when the industry is trying to recover from the discredit thrown by the cheating of Volkswagen, this new scandal, even if it is closed, falls to the worst.

Hypocrisy or unconsciousness?

All drugs and vaccines are tested on animals then on humans: where is the difference since it is a question of verifying a possible toxicity of a product?
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

Re: German auto industry made monkeys breathe exhaust

by Christophe » 30/01/18, 11:46

I love the ... to monkeys and men!

Seriously those who put animals before men are ... psychopaths!
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/01/18, 12:21

Seriously those who put animals before men are ... psychopaths!

It is not a question here of hierarchy, but of emotional reactions. If it had been mice or rabbits no one would have faulted it. However, we must not forget that the animal has legally passed from the stage of furniture to that of a sensitive individual, and at this level what hierarchy is there? Think of the film "the planet of the apes" where the human being is considered as an inferior animal that can be manipulated at will!
second, technically only, humans have been breathing exhaust fumes for a long time without going through an animal laboratory stage. Children in strollers probably breathe more in cities than these monkeys and that does not cause any emotion.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/01/18, 12:45

The automotive industry has been breathing exhaust gases to millions of humans every day for decades!

And today, we want to piss them off for some macaques? : Cheesy:

I love our current society ... I really love it !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/01/18, 13:01

The automotive industry has been breathing exhaust gases to millions of humans every day for decades!
It is the least we can say! And she's not the only one! Like me (us) with my heating in addition to my car!
And today, we want to piss them off for some macaques? : Cheesy:
It doesn't seem to be their goal! In the usual conditions of our lives, the risk factors are multiple and the automotive industry wants to relativize the impact of their products by distinguishing each component and its real impact, which all manufacturers of the drug or any other products do.
It took 100 years for it to be recognized officially the real dangerousness of asbestos (and many other products such as DDT, glyphosate currently in the spotlight) each manufacturer contesting the dangerousness of the product itself, but incriminating its mixture with other everyday products citing the usual "this has not been scientifically proven"Thus smokers pollute themselves much more with their tobacco than by breathing exhaust fumes, they say !.
I love our current society ... I really love it !!
Me, I rather want to vomit, but unfortunately I am part of it and even I participate more or less voluntarily, but in any case actively !.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/01/18, 13:14

The love it was 2000% ironic eh !!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/01/18, 13:26

The automotive industry has also used animals extensively for crash tests before the rise of electronic dummies.

19,000 Animals Killed in Automotive Crash Tests

DETROIT, Sept. 27—About 19,000 dogs, rabbits, pigs, ferrets, rats and mice have been killed during the last decade in automobile safety tests performed by the General Motors Corporation, a company spokesman said today.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/28/us/19000-animals-killed-in-automotive-crash-tests.html
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/01/18, 17:47

The love it was 2000% ironic eh !!
I understood it as such, but some "fundamentalism" risked taking it in the first degree! :P
19,000 Animals Killed in Automotive Crash Tests
from memory (which could confirm or invalidate) it was envisaged to use human corpses to note the damage of shocks, airbags and seat belts, but which can no longer breathe the exhaust gases !!!
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 30/01/18, 19:18

Janic wrote:... it was envisaged to use human corpses to note the damage of shocks, airbags and seat belts, but which can no longer breathe the exhaust gases !!!

It was not considered, Renault actually used hundreds of human corpses, including those of dead children, to test the profile of the front of the R18 for example:

Renault tests the corpses.jpg
Renault tests les cadavres.jpg (25.27 KB) Consulted 3159 times

Personally, I find it quite repulsive ...

A report had been broadcast on TV to show Renault's "technical advance" but it had caused an uproar. Now, when you run over a child with your Renault, it's much less dirt than with other brands, a great progress ...

No worries for VW, the Dieselgate had no negative effect on sales. On the contrary, VW is growing strongly!

And I imagine that if we reveal that the human guinea pigs were Syrian migrants, including children, then VW sales will experience a real boom.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 30/01/18, 19:27

The image is taken from Eric Brunet's book "60 million guinea pigs". (2014 - Albin Michel)

The link : https://books.google.fr/books/about/60_ ... edir_esc=y
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"