Eat fat ... but good fat!

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Christophe

Eat fat ... but good fat!

by Christophe » 06/10/17, 01:51

The "good" fat makes it smart

actucp_nutrition_19_09_17_web.jpg
actucp_nutrition_19_09_17_web.jpg (442.62 Kio) Viewed 2874 times

A new study reveals that the organization of certain brain networks involved in intelligence is directly related to our consumption of unsaturated fatty acids, such as omega-3. Benedict Salthun-Lassalle

The idea makes its way: eating well and in a balanced way would improve brain health and our cognitive performance. This is particularly the case with the Mediterranean diet, rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids including omega-3. But no study has yet really proved that there is a link between the components of this diet and the effectiveness of brain networks involved in intelligence. That's what Aron Barbey's team from Urbana-Champaign University in Illinois has just done.

General intelligence is a combination of skills including reasoning, problem-solving skills, day-to-day decision-making, social faculties and job performance. It is based on the synchronization and the efficiency of the communication between different brain networks, for example that of the default mode, active when one is at rest, the back network of the attention, playing a key role in the demanding tasks and the daily problems, or the frontoparietal network, involved among other things in decision-making.

But the proper functioning of the brain depends largely on its fats, which represent more than 55% of its dry weight! Because fatty acids and cholesterol contribute, among other things, to the structure of neurons and other brain cells, as well as to the synthesis of neurotransmitters, enzymes, hormones, which provide brain activity. Most monounsaturated fatty acids (eg olive oil) and saturated fatty acids (animal fats) exist in sufficient quantities in the diet. On the other hand, among polyunsaturates, omega-3 are rarer: they are found in olive and rapeseed oils, some fish, avocado, nuts ... Foods of the Mediterranean diet that we do not consume enough.

Barbey and his colleagues conducted a blood test of nutritional biomarkers of 99 healthy adults, average age 69 years, to determine the amounts of unsaturated and saturated fatty acids circulating in their body. These rates reflect not only the fats consumed, but also those available to the brain. Then the researchers measured the general intelligence of each participant - thanks to a classic Wechsler test. In parallel, they also recorded in magnetic resonance imaging the connectivity and functional organization of 7 major brain networks, including those mentioned above.

As a result, the internal connectivity and organization of the backbone network of attention, and to a lesser extent those of the frontoparietal network, are associated with higher overall intelligence. And the more the participants have an "efficient" organization of these networks, and consequently a better intelligence, the more they have unsaturated fatty acids in the blood. In contrast, no link was determined with other brain networks, or even with other nutritional markers.

Feel free to eat fat, it's never too late to boost your brain. It is likely that the more you eat "good" fatty acids, the more the brain has at its disposal to produce the essential elements to its functioning - neurotransmitters, enzymes, hormones ... So that your neural networks are more effective, with certainly a reverberate on your attention abilities and your intelligence. This is new evidence that nutrition affects brain efficiency, and that research in nutritional cognitive neuroscience has a bright future ahead of it.

http://www.cerveauetpsycho.fr/ewb_pages ... -38785.php
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Eat fat ... but good fat!

by izentrop » 06/10/17, 09:25

Quote from Christophe who has written:Do not hesitate to consume fat ...
As always, do not mean to go back on ..., it only reinforces the idea that you have to eat balanced and varied without exclusion. The body retains of itself what it needs in the moment.
It has been known for a long time that a balance between LDL and HDL
It is not for me to give advice and I do not think any more about all these sites on health and nutrition that bloom on the net.

About nuts, this year's harvest has been good. The old walnut tree that stands in the middle of my yard obviously did not suffer from the drought this summer, nor the late frost that had wiped out the news grow at the end of the branches .. I will be able to continue to make my usual walnut bread . ;)
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 06/10/17, 10:52

yes as often in nutrition still an old notion that is abruptly recycled to meet the fashion : Mrgreen:
it was already something taught in the 90 years (I was there!)
in auvergne there is even an old saying in brayaud patois which says something like: "one walnut good walnut, 5 walnuts too many walnuts" (good in patois it rhymes it seems to me :P )

I have not even been to see what there was like nuts under my walnut trees ...
last year in any case was nothing!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/10/17, 11:29

Those lucky enough to pick nuts is good ... because they have become overpriced ... I think!

The lawyers is not given either ... I have already seen more than 2 € room ....
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 06/10/17, 12:23

come in my corner are walnut trees all over the communal roadside: who wants to bend down to pick up the nuts and get dirty fingers to debug them :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/10/17, 12:31

It's an invitation? : Cheesy:

That's good, it's been a long time since I had in mind to do a "Tout de France de éconologie" ... To meet the members of the forums who want to welcome home! 8)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 06/10/17, 13:18

Lolounette wrote: I have not even been to see what there was like nuts under my walnut trees ...
Do not be too late, because they are degraded with moisture.
I dry them on wire trays that I made. Then I store them in bags hanging under the shelter of rodents.
noix2017.jpg
nuts2017.jpg (232.83 KIO) Viewed 2825 times
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/10/17, 14:14

Hey, this is the nut factory at your place! : Cheesy:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/12/20, 10:34

Not eating “good fat” is the best way to nab a covid!

Daily cold-pressed oil intake (in small quantity) essential.

To lose weight, you have to eat oils! A road system is being put in place.

izentrop wrote:I will be able to continue making my usual nut bread. ;)
By doing this you create a toxic product (“TRANS” fatty acids from the heat of the oven). You can continue, but you must insert the nuts in the crumb AFTER cooking.

Do not cook with oils and do not cook / heat oilseeds.
0 x

Back to "Health and Prevention. Pollution, causes and effects of environmental risks "