Monopolies of steel and soon metals

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

Monopolies of steel and soon metals

by Other » 27/06/06, 23:07

Hello,
As I wrote in a post in 2005 the steel barons
The biggest company MITTAL has just absorbed ARCELOR siderurgie head office in Luxembourg and which has factories all over France. As in Canada Mittal absorbed the biggest Canadian and Quebequois steelworks, they did the same in France, without governments flinching, just a small declaration (for the form) of Chirac in India and for the Canadian government not a word ( it's true I forgot we belong to Georges)
It continues in non-ferrous metals copper, nickel and aluminum that will be in the hands of a single company, transactions are in progress.

Mittal and a company of Indoux origin, he really takes people for suitcases. It looks more like an organized group.
Who is hiding behind all this? it resembles a certain shipowner who hides their fleet of boats under any kind of flag.

Soon there will be a few people who will run the world, and we small cellars we will vote a prime minister among those that these people will have chosen ...

Beautiful democracy, it is the beginning of the end of the union movement in the steelworks, it is not uncommon to see these companies leave with the workers' retirement fund, we have a recent example with a stainless steel company ( Atlas steel) who declares bankruptcy, retirees are cut by 50%.

Andre
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 28/06/06, 00:36

It continues in non-ferrous metals copper, nickel and aluminum that will be in the hands of a single company, transactions are in progress.

For the aluminum, I knew the absorption of my old Pechiney box by Alcan the Canadian and it happened in the same way as Mittal with Arcelor: 1- - Hostile takeover / indignation of the boss of Pechiney 2 - A few months later, Alcan offers a little more money to buy Pechiney in the middle of July !! and the CEO of Pechiney leaves with a big bundle of dollars / euros ..... for me it was all calculated in advance.

It is a real scam to scare employees and encourage them to no longer be unionized.

I will not be surprised to see one day ALCOA the US buy Alcan ... and long live ultra-liberalism ...... a new form of world slavery. It is for when the world revolution exploited against the big rich CEOs who fatten themselves up with stock options (see with us Forgeard with Airbus !!!).
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Other

by Other » 28/06/06, 16:22

Hello jean63

For Pechyney I was aware, tell yourself that Alcan who identifies under Canadian banner, if you dig a little you will see where are the interests and the leaders of this company, they are all in the same place, In Canada more precisely in Quebec we are just tenants, everything belongs to American interests, directly or indirectly!
Each time a Europene company sets up, it gets absorbed, Alstom is established at the time of turbines for large dams, there are only offices in my city!
Renault is trying, Michelin too, they could not adapt their factory to unionization!
Even Siemens which is one of the biggest company, has only points of sale in Quebec, they are installed in the USA.
two contracts to renew the metros in Montreal and one in Toronto, Bombardier will automatically have it. Without Submission

Andre

If the aluminum companies are installed along the river it is for only one reason there are 3 big wires and a lot of Megawatt
to operate the aluminum smelter as well as the steelworks which are all in quebec electric furnace, the waterway is used for the transport of ores and bauxite.

The small province with these Francophones does not interest them,
it is the natural wealth which he covets, when all the forest will be cut for the big papermakers, all the mines exhausted
he will withdraw.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 28/06/06, 17:01

Hi André,

I did not understand your allusions to unionization and to the fact that Europeans cannot establish themselves in Quebec ??

Note: Arcelor has engulfed Dofasco and Arcelor has just been engulfed by Mittal.
So Arcelor, the Euro-Brazilian has managed to gain a foothold in Canada, during what ?? 2 months... :))

Well, as an insider / working for a daughter of Arcelor, here is what I see:

We are still far from privatization on a world scale of Steel because the 12 first world groups of which Arcelor-Mittal belongs represent according to studies only 22% of the world production of steel.

What is certain is that the number of players in the large areas of North America, Europe, Japan, and possibly also China, are tending to decrease. (concurrency, huge increase in productivity, decrease in the volume of markets, etc ...)

Guy Dollé, former boss of Arcelor wanted to launch the consolidation movement to negotiate on an equal basis with raw material suppliers who greatly control the market (in all 3 big known competitors Rio tinto, CVRD, BHP-Billiton) and there is no real competition.
0 x
laurent73
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by laurent73 » 28/06/06, 22:06

Hi everybody, :D
I know the pb well since I work for a box (which makes stainless steel) and which depends on Arcelor but soon more ...

A bit of history (with a small h):
Steel in France (and in Europe) was a lot of small boxes across the country (s). Then there were the Usinors, Sacilors, etc. who came together at the French and then European level.
Why?
Actually like "freddau" said when you only have 3 raw material suppliers, it is better to be big to speak face to face.
And yet even with Arcelor (without Mittal), we did not weigh enough on the market (both buying and selling).
So the only current solution is to get bigger (sacred system ...).
But it is not the only reason:
The Chinese who grow quickly (and learn quickly too) will be number 1 in steel in the future (price first and then quality will come after).
If you do not want to be eating quickly you must be of a substantial size (which means that Arcelor + Mittal is not big enough ...).
So why Mittal sought to take Arcelor:
Mittal has invested a lot in the purchase of companies (even in the USA! But there the steel industry is in bad shape), so needs cash what Arcelor has. In addition Mittal specializes in low-end steel, an area where the Chinese will very soon eat everyone ... While Arcelor is more in the high-end ... Arcelor is therefore an interesting prey which, from more, is undervalued on the stock market ...
In all this you should know that Mittal will not be the chief boss (he does not invest in his factories so it is better). And he has not for 5 years the opportunity to sell his shares (wholesale). In my opinion he is a guy who seeks to grow, to grow, not to make a stable empire, but to sell better afterwards.

The funniest :!: is that some boxes that Arcelor no longer wanted will end up in the Arcelor + Mittal fold ... :!:

Fortunately for us Usinor then Arcelor sought to sell us for 7 years and finally found with Germans, family box, with which we will make 10% of the world market (and n ° 1 nevertheless despite the 10%).

Hoping that gasoline climbs very strongly and that there are huge taxes for polluters, this will limit trade from continent to continent, will keep jobs in our respective countries.

Laurent73

PS: a stainless steel coil made in France (steelworks + hot rolling mill) sent to Thailand for finishing and returned to France, cost less in transformation than making the total in France ... CQFD
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 28/06/06, 22:41

Okay I will continue this topic.

Albertville ..... you wouldn't work at Ugine or something like that ???

In short, Mittal does not only have second-rate steelworks, sorry but Guy Dollé was doing a bit of propaganda there, especially to repel Mittal.

If you want examples, there is Imexa in Mexico in the coastal town of "Las Gardenas", we work from time to time with them and they deliver slabs almost as good as the steelworks of Arcelor for the uses we make of them .

To add some American sites which were of foreground. I say who were because with assumptions we do what we want.

For the Chinese, what bothers me is that it is our own independent design office that builds them top-notch steelworks, at last state-of-the-art.
And after the Chinese do not care to be profitable, see the articles of the figaro on the Chinese invasion on the great African works.
Besides, why be profitable when you have millions of dollars in stock and you can do what you want with it.
0 x
laurent73
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by laurent73 » 28/06/06, 22:45

hi freddau,
you hit the bull's eye ...
a+
0 x
Other

by Other » 29/06/06, 06:19

Hello

I did not understand your allusions to unionization and to the fact that Europeans cannot establish themselves in Quebec ??

Michelin settled in Canada and they had a lot of trouble managing unionization in North America.
Yet the union is not as fierce as one would suggest, I would even say that it has softened over time, it has become a business union.
The principle in Quebec following the labor code, we negotiate a collective agreement for 3 years, there can be no strike during this agreement, but once in the end it's all to be renegotiated, strikes in steel often last from 6 months to 8 months, often it is the coming of winter that changes the situation.
Once everything is settled smoothly ...

Mac donal and Walmart stores, when they set up shop in a city if there is union certification in sight, they simply close their store and fire all the employees and move to another location, that's why I would never set foot in a Donal mac, and if everyone did the same
he wouldn't give a damn about their american junk food ...
As for the Amercaine chain of Walmart who make slave children work in India to sell us their babies.

The I just overflowed with the subject

plus Mittal specializes in low-end steel, an area where the Chinese will eat everyone very soon ... While Arcelor is more in the high-end ... Arcelor is therefore an interesting prey which,

You are wrong about low-end steel, I'm just going to mention two factories that Mittal bought the old factory Dosco sidbec and Stelco steelie de Contrecoeur Whose steel is made only with electric ovens, I'm going to talk more from Stelco I have worked for 31 years, the factory has undergone many modernizations the steel is of high quality, mainly all the leaf springs of the trucks in North America sort of this factory, a good part enters the pieces of automobile engine, and when there is a lack of control we make cement bars from 12mm to 30mm (rare are the steelworks which have electric ovens make cement bars)
In Quebec there is no coal blast furnace, it is all electric.

15 years ago we were told that the future was in integrated mini steelmaking that large factories were called to disappear, that the ratio men hours ton was the measure of efficiency of a factory and now we come back to the contrary it is what the problem? China has a good back! and who invests in Chinese factories? The factories have a lifespan of 20 years maximum. No more problems with employees who have contracted an occupational disease, no more problem with pensions, especially in China or in Latin America, we close, everyone outside no pension to pay, no problem with the environment , everything is allowed, full of $ and we disappear elsewhere. What is Kyoto for these pharaohs? what does it eat in winter?

In the steelworks that I worked we were 360 ​​unionized employees with a 50 executives and directions the production of steel in 2003 was of 600000 tons anullously of which 200 000 tons of billets and 400000 tons of rolled product.

Andre
0 x
Exceed
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Exceed » 29/06/06, 11:22

Hello,
Once again, a hot hot topic ....
The number one buys the number 2 ..... However the number 2 did not want to be eaten by the nasty number one .... Suddenly, they were committed with a third, Russians .... but the number one broke its piggy bank, number 2 succumbed and will sign with number one .... and of course number 2 will compensate the third, the russians ... for the modest sum of approx. 160/170 million $ or € ... at that level, it changes a lot!
Metal prices were already on the rise (record) since the beginning of the year ...... tomorrow, it may be worse or how to transform metal into gold ...
A + Serge.
0 x
Respect !!!
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 29/06/06, 13:09

laurent73 wrote:PS: a stainless steel coil made in France (steelworks + hot rolling mill) sent to Thailand for finishing and returned to France, cost less in transformation than making the total in France ... CQFD

And yes, as long as the cost price of imported goods does not take into account the cost price of infrastructure (roads, ports, airports, etc ...) which, currently are paid by our taxes, it will be more profitable to relocate .

We arrive at the following paradox, which is that it is our taxes that are used to build the infrastructure that promotes offshoring.

In summary:

[Caricature mode ON]
Our taxes facilitate offshoring therefore promote unemployment
[Cartoon mode OFF]

I don't know why, I feel like I'm going to get hit with a sledgehammer : Lol: ) after this post ....
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding