Econological research

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
operrin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Econological research

by operrin » 12/11/05, 17:28

Hello,

I am in 4th year at INSA Lyon and I have to do a "personal humanities project". As I am interested in econology, I decided to do some research on this topic.

I have already thought about it a lot, but I must now find a specific problem to refine my research.

Here is what I would like to deal with for now:
Introduction - problematic

Definitions and appearance of the concept?
- sustainable development, sustainable development
- econology
(at the end of this part, we know what are econology and sustainable development in general but also at the legal, political level…)

The place of econology in relation to sustainable development
- targets and actors
- application areas
(at the end of this part, we know that econology and sustainable development are complementary)

The difficulties of econology to impose itself
- integration into customs
- who supports this concept (economists, ecologists, journalists, politicians…)
(at the end of this part we know that econology has a hard time detaching itself from sustainable development and being accepted by all)

Conclusion

Hence the roblematic:
"Econology, a repressed complement to sustainable development? "

Voila, so I would like to know what you think about it. Is this issue still too general (I have to write 20 pages)? what do you think of the different parts?

And besides, what do you think of the sustainable devpt / econology comparison? Do you have clear definitions of sustainable dvpt and sustainable dvpt?

Here for the moment, I am listening to all your comments!

Thank you and see you soon !
Olivier
0 x
operrin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

always this PPH

by operrin » 21/11/05, 20:57

Hello,

I will raise you again regarding my request for my project on econology ...

I am always ready to listen to your suggestions and comments. For that, I would like to ask you a few questions:
- what is econology for you?
- and the economy?
- and ecology?
- what is the difference between sustainable development and econology in your opinion?

and if you have other things to say, thank you !!

See you soon !

Olivier
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/11/05, 00:11

Hello Olivier!

Your problem is very interesting but you have to be careful because the concepts you have to handle to write your paper are somewhat undefined. Let me explain :

- Sustainable development". Here is exactly an expression that can be used in all sauces. In its first sense, it includes nothing less than fair trade, humanitarian action, renewable energies, protection of the environment and species, social policies ... I hate this term precisely because it is a mess up all messy. When you know that you could read "sustainable development" on the OPEC home page a year or two ago, I let you imagine how much this kind of terminology is in my opinion to be avoided. Or maybe you don't need 20 pages, but 200 ...

- Econology. It is an interesting concept, which brings us together around this website. However, this is not in itself a very developed idea. There is surely material to push the analysis of econology according to several axes (law, economy, society, environment ...) and I myself have several ideas on this subject. However, nothing has really been done in this area. You will therefore find it difficult to find writings or authors to support you. Besides, I bet that the concept of econology is different among regular visitors to this site. It would take long debates to specify the content, but econology does not have the ambition to become a sort of ideology as has more or less done sustainable development.

Personally, I would define econology simply as a means for the development of renewable energies. This approach is very simple: renewable energy must be competitive in order to develop. There is consensus on the interest of renewable energies today, no need to come back to it. Rather, econology is a road to the massive advent of renewable energies. Whether you approve it or not, the law of the market is what it is, and renewable energies cannot get rid of it, otherwise they will remain marginal. Ecology must therefore rhyme with Economy, in the sense of economic activity but also in the sense of lower cost for the user.

And this idea of ​​econology is valid not only for renewable energies (production) but also for all that relates to the control of energy (which consists in lowering energy consumption).

So to conclude, econology is only a means, Renewable Energies and energy management are the end of this means, and Sustainable Development is a concept as vast as it is indefinite which includes renewable energies and energy management, alongside many other things that do not necessarily have much to do with renewable energies.

Voila, you have at least 2 pages there : Lol:
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/11/05, 00:15

Don't forget to send us your paper when it's finished.
0 x
operrin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Thank you

by operrin » 26/11/05, 18:55

Thank you for your answer.

So I'm going to think about my problem. In addition, I discussed with my tutor who said it like you: I can write 200 pages on it. So I will have to dig a little more to limit myself.

Something that interests me in what you said: Econology is rather a road to the massive advent of renewable energies. I think I'm going to dig on this side there.

In addition you talked about the sustainable dvpt by saying that it was a term behind which we could put "anything"; I therefore believe that I will not embark on the trail of sustainable dvpt, it is too vague I think; or else I need to target much more what I mean by sustainable dvpt ...

In any case, thank you for your comments. What do you mean behind renewable energy? all of them? For you, as soon as we use renewable energy, do we do econology? (or what are the limits of econology for you?)

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on my progress!

A bientot!
Olivier
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 26/11/05, 20:01

Hey, it's a real interview : Lol:

I think you are right to refocus on the concept of energy savings, especially since apparently your tutor shares my reservations about the term "sustainable development".

You should get Christophe's vision since he is the creator of the site and (not quite : Wink: ) of the concept of econology.

Renewable energies (Renewable energies) are defined by the fact that they come from a non-dry resource, and very particularly not geological or mining (like fossil or nuclear energies, which are first extracted from the ground). Although in the strict sense, geothermal energy does not use an inexhaustible resource (the internal heat of the Earth is a finite and limited quantity), we still assimilate it to a renewable energy because the resource is enormous and exploitation does not produces no waste.

Does using renewable energy mean doing econology ... not necessarily if your production device costs a fortune or has a strong environmental impact (pollution due to manufacturing, recycling ...). It also depends on the profitability thresholds which vary from one place to another and according to the prices of the energy markets. All of this can vary.

To say in absolute terms if a product is econological or not seems difficult to me because where should we put the limit? By cons it must be possible to compare two products of the same type together to say which is the most econological, thanks to an indicator a bit like this:

price / respect for the environment

The smaller the ratio, the more economical the product. It remains to give a correct environmental rating, which is not easy.
This is only valid for two competing products providing the same service.

For the limits of econology, I don't know. But surely your analyzes can bring us some clarifications : Wink:

Good luck
0 x
operrin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by operrin » 04/12/05, 18:40

Welcome!

That's it I start and after qqs info found here and there, I think interesting to develop the following problem:

"does econology relate to the use of renewable energies"

As it is less vast than the durable dvpt and less clutter as a subject ...

now it only remains for me to make my plan and ideas :)

Besides, if you have any :)

Do you know of super well done sites that deal with renewable energies? of what is done with renewable energies? or even a site (other than this one) that compares econology and renewable energy?

Voila ... I'm going back to work :)

++
Olivier
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/05, 18:50

Not only ... let me explain.

The profitability of renewable energies is currently based on a (perverse) system of state subsidies. In other words: renewable energies are not profitable without these subsidies, since the latter ensure that they arrive "at the limit" of profitability and the promoters of renewable energies benefit well.

For me this system basically has only drawbacks: TOTAL control (with pun intended) of the use of renewable energies by the State and the lobbies (EdF for example for the purchase of green electricity) , an overcharging (see solar installations at 10 000 € but heavily subsidized) and a dangerous dependence (the day when the subsidy system collapses ...) ... not to mention the projects accepted in priority because defended by X who knows Y ... (lack of impartiality in awarding grants)

The econology on the contrary, defends profitable renewable energies without the intervention of the State or other subsidy but especially a partimony in the consumption of fossil energies (doping with water or any other system allowing to save or better use fossil fuels)
0 x
operrin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by operrin » 04/12/05, 20:06

Ok thank you for your answer !

Here in fact that can be the conclusion of my file ... In fact I want to show or not that EnR and econology meet ... So from you I see that the answer is no ... but this is not is not said in advance ... I will see how to make a plan that leads to this conclusion!

And there are a lot of RES that are used without state intervention? I am going to look in the directory to find sites that talk about it and see the role of the state in the use of all these RES.

please

See you soon

Olivier
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/05, 20:17

The answer with the current policy of renewable energies would rather not be effectively .... but that does not mean that econology does not defend renewable energies ... far from it! Simply economically affordable RES and not RES that are not profitable until after 15 or 20 years !! With such figures it is not surprising that people do not invest ... But, my opinion is that all this is wanted and is the consequence of subsidies ...

You will find my opinion on wind policy here: https://www.econologie.com/l-eolien-l-en ... s-123.html

This article is also interesting: https://www.econologie.com/la-competitiv ... -2226.html
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 13: 23, 1 edited once.
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"