Eco-acts that cost nothing and that pay big ...

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Eco-acts that cost nothing and that pay big ...

by the middle » 17/10/11, 10:41

hello :D
You don't have the soul of a farmer, that's okay.
You see, I have to save the world.

: Cheesy:
You have a lawn..ok, you just have to buy 3 zucchini plants on the walk, and in the middle of the lawn, plant them, and water them, that's it! you will have zucchini for 4 months, without work (a little water in case of drought)
You have a piece of abandoned land, plant two pumpkin plants that you bought at the market, no maintenance, it grows on its own, and in October, you will have enough to make 20 soups without toxic products.
In addition, pumpkins are decorative in the house, and they keep for months!
If you have other examples of such simplicity, take a look at this post, please. :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 17/10/11, 12:13

Plant repeat raspberries that yield two harvests each year.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/10/11, 12:43

Keep your old bread dry (as long as it is not moldy of course) and "recycle" it in several recipes:

- French toast (recipe known by all I do not detail)
- beggar with variant at will according to tastes (the original recipe is sweet but I tested salty with zucchini and bacon, it also works well). In Alsatian it is said bedelmann

For the mendiant / bedelmann recipe, it's "ladle-wise" (it's my method to vary the pleasures and tastes, just to not always have the same thing!), Here is the general outline that I follow ( if you want the quantities googling):

- hard bread
    - milk
    - eggs (some don't. It's according to your tastes, it makes the cake a little heavier)
    - raisins (option)
    - fruit (fresh if possible but canned possible). The original recipe is with black cherries. Apples, pears ... Everything works except, depending on taste, fruits that are a little too acidic (apricot or plum ...) or which do not cook (strawberries)
    - sugar (red is always better)
    - possibly a little alcohol (schnapps ...)

Basically before baking it is necessary to obtain a kind of molasses not too liquid but enough to have soaked all the bread.

Put everything in a large bowl, the bread first, the milk and the eggs then.

Soak the bread well to make it soft (this works with baquette chunks).

Mix well so that it is homogenized as much as possible.

Add the "condiments": sugar, fruit ... and taste so that it is to your taste (it is not very nice when it is raw but it is obviously edible)

Remix well.

Let rest a little (20 to 30 min) so that the flavors are homogenized. (not compulsory but a little better)

Preheat the oven 180 ° C

Put everything in one or 2 containers (depending on quantity): if you like, you can sprinkle with sugar to obtain a small crunchy layer on top after cooking. Not too high the container so that the heart can cook.

Cooking (depending on the thickness of the container) between 180 and 200 ° C: 40 to 60 min.

When cooked, the dough becomes compact and the top and dough have become brownish (more or less depending on the bread).

For the savory recipe: easy, replace the sweet ingredients with savory ingredients (ham, bacon, etc.) and the fruit with vegetables (zucchini, pepper, tomatoes, etc.).

Last thing: you can obviously mix any type of bread ... uh downside all the same: I'm not sure that with pumpel nikel (German black bread) the result is very good ... ihhihihi

It's a recipe (from grandmother's) that you can't miss and it's always good! Otherwise it means that you are really a handle in the kitchen !!

When I see the tonnage of bread wasted every day in the world and that it could be recycled in this way, it revolts me ... but hey, that's not the debate!

The next one I do, I'll take pictures for you!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/10/11, 13:16

Ha !, with us, we put coffee and brown sugar.
I forgot the name of this thing, I did it 6 months ago.
Bread pudding!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/10/11, 13:21

Uh without milk or eggs?

Otherwise it's a variation of French toast, isn't it?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 17/10/11, 13:31

With us bread is never lost. Dogs eat a little and the rest goes to horses.

I would like to remind you that horses should only be given very dry and hard bread. In still soft bread the yeasts are still active and this is harmful for the horses.
Likewise, before giving your dry bread to horses or animals in your neighborhood, always ask the owner for animal allowances.
And if you have large quantities, it is preferable to give it rather to the owner who can thus distribute it sparingly and take it into account in the calculation of his rations.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/10/11, 13:31

Christophe wrote:Uh without milk or eggs?

Otherwise it's a variation of French toast, isn't it?

No, nothing to do with French toast, ok, I write the recipe:
1 bread crumbs
2 cups of milk
1 cup of coffee
1 cup of brown sugar
raisins soaked 30 minutes
2 apples cut into pieces
4 eggs
Mix all the stuff well, and let stand for two hours
put everything in the oven for two hours at 180 degrees in a cake machine
It's very nourishing and super good (me, I will add a little alcohol ... cognac?)
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/10/11, 13:33

Okay, this afternoon I'm making my sauerkraut for the winter.
Here is a site that explains how to do it:
http://www.leblogadupdup.org/2010/01/18 ... houcroute/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/10/11, 13:34

Ok LeJuste, so it's closer to the Bedelman!

For sauerkraut, we have a sub forum dedicated to food: https://www.econologie.com/forums/fruits-et- ... -vf86.html

As this subject is exclusively about food, I moved it to the sub forum green recipes :)

ps: Forhorse, with us either, if the bread is too old (starts to mold), then yum yum for the horses next door, otherwise it is for the birds or the fish of the neighbor (carp pond)
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 17/10/11, 17:10

Hello, Why buy zucchini plants.
Simple economic, Group yourself in the neighborhood, and at the local organic store buy a zucchini an eggplant a pumpkin ........ Eat them but keep the seeds.
organic until the end.
a + claude
0 x