The textile is fantastile

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Charlotte
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The textile is fantastile

by Charlotte » 10/10/06, 10:11

Under the tips-tricks-let's-live-like-our-grandmothers section, I come to boast the fabric (and also confront your judgment with my little calculation to see if it is completely off the mark):

Let us assume that on average each person uses:

1 handkerchief per day
1 paper towel per meal (we will say one per day, because at noon there is not always a choice)

That's good for us: 365 handkerchiefs per year and 365 paper towels needed manufacture, pack in small packages that we pack in multipacks that we pack in big boxes that we put in in a big truck to bring them first to a distributor, then we put it back in another truck who will bring them to your favorite hyper where you will go to buy one from time to time, you take it home, use it, throw it in a garbage bag (which must be manufactured, etc.) which will be disposed of by a big truck and will end up in an incineration plant if we're lucky, at the landfill if we have less. Phew! Repeat this circus as many times as necessary.

Ah! Grandmother, her lace handkerchiefs and her linen towel! What happiness! At my house, a towel lasts 5 to 7 days (except on whole shrimp days), a handkerchief one day. This makes, by accumulating, fifty towels per year, or one wash cycle (and again I'm not sure that it would fill the machine if we washed them all at the same time), and 365 tissues, or two or three cycles.

I would put my hand to cut that four detergents (including iron) per year that pollutes and consumes less than all the hassle that handkerchiefs and paper towels cause.

And I thank you for the same reasoning for the question of rags against Sopaline.

What do you have to do other than ironing towels to save the planet? : Shock:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/10/06, 10:36

I have always been allergic (psychologically) to tissues ... and I always have in my pocket big grandmother's handkerchief for any use : Cheesy: but it's a little discreet (big pocket) especially when 3 or 4 accumulate :D

Fortunately with us it is not even worth ironing them (handkerchiefs)!

I think that this subject could be the subject of an interesting news on the new born blog: www.econologie.info
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 10 / 06, 11: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Textile is fantastic

by bham » 10/10/06, 10:50

Charlotte wrote:Under the tips-tricks-let's-live-like-our-grandmothers section, I come to boast the fabric (and also confront your judgment with my little calculation to see if it is completely off the mark):
I would put my hand to cut that four detergents (including iron) per year that pollutes and consumes less than all the hassle that handkerchiefs and paper towels cause.

What do you have to do other than ironing towels to save the planet? : Shock:

Welcome Charlotte and well seen!
We don't have time for anything and we want to simplify our lives. So we go to the easiest. That said, the handkerchief, which I also used, was a good broth of culture, which does not mean that we cure faster from a cold with a tissue that is thrown away every 5 minutes.
For the towel that we keep for 1 week, I also gave, good bah, do not be too careful about the fat that we spread the day before by wiping my mouth and fingertips. So there is a hygiene side that should not be overlooked, even if we do not die from all these microbes.
For the paper towel, wipe your mouth on a machine that stinks of chemicals (if anyone knows what it emits as a pollutant, I'm interested!) is not pleasing either.
So between the old and the modern, between a slightly more hygienic pepé method and a modern method that is a little more healthy and respectful of the environment, there is something that can be invented ....
Ah, but if that's it, eureka! You could only eat pills that we will make Monsanto and Co. Like that, you may have to wipe your mouth. : Cheesy: Like that, more water wasted in laundry, more polluting laundry, more electricity used for washing and ironing, more paper waste ... and then to replace handkerchiefs, nasal aspirators at home or at work, even in the street, with a credit card. We live in a great time. :|
0 x
Christophe

Re: Textile is fantastic

by Christophe » 10/10/06, 10:58

ps:
Charlotte wrote:Ah! Grandmother, her lace handkerchiefs!

I wiped my nose once in a handkerchief ... NOT TWO Image Those who have already done it will understand :|
0 x
Charlotte
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Charlotte » 10/10/06, 12:00

@Christophe: yes, finally, it's that the edges that are lace ... The rest is much more solid than paper, by the way. Edit: I missed your post above on your use of tissue.

@bham: ok for the hygiene side. It is clear that the towel soaked in grease because last night it was chicken goes directly to the laundry. But I persist, even if you had to wash 365 cloth towels per year, it is still less polluting in my opinion (5 machines).

As for the fabric handkerchief, well when you have a cold, it is clear that there are several that pass in the day. The courtesy of passing a handkerchief to someone is obviously not appropriate (yuck ...). Also, to avoid being caught off guard, we do like grandma, we always have one in the pocket or bag. Ecology promotes organization, I like!

And microbes, well, microbes occupy the immune system, and that, it seems that it reduces allergies! Life is not beautiful?
Last edited by Charlotte the 10 / 10 / 06, 14: 13, 1 edited once.
0 x
Polo
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Polo » 10/10/06, 13:13

I confirm that allergies are for some caused by a weakened immune system. the globules have nothing to do so it fights something at random, just so as not to rust (this is one of the interesting things of SVT in Term)
I find a little deg anyway the tissue system ... what I take is paper tissues but in large cardboard boxes, there is less packaging ...
0 x
"I fear nothing, I hope for nothing, I am free" Nikos kazansakis
Charlotte
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Charlotte » 10/10/06, 14:11

Christophe wrote:
I think that this subject could be the subject of an interesting news on the new born blog: www.econologie.info

Wouaaah! I am flattered. 8)

To be completely honest, it was in this hope that I posted it, hey!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/10/06, 14:22

Charlotte wrote:@Christophe: yes, finally, it's that the edges that are lace ... The rest is much more solid than paper, by the way.

The problem is that the whole thing was lace ... I'm not going to go into details, huh ...

Charlotte wrote:To be completely honest, it was in this hope that I posted it, hey!

That's good, we're still looking for copywriters ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/10/06, 14:30

Yes, we can add to that one of my great workhorses: Image the wipes

While a good old mop is very effective in cleaning floors,
While a cloth (recovered from an old garment or household linen) is very effective for making dust, cleaning the tiles, etc ...
While washing with soapy water is very effective in cleaning glasses,

The industrialists have invented for us the highlight of the waste society: the wipe: I take, I throw !!!

I even saw wipes to clean the windows of the inserts or the car rims.

: Evil: Image : Evil: I hate wipes : Evil: Image : Evil:

PS: in a little more radical, we also have the textile diaper to replace the disposable diapers for babies. But hey, it requires a little more ecological awareness than that necessary to blow your nose in cloth : Wink:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Charlotte
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Charlotte » 10/10/06, 14:31

Christophe wrote:The problem is that the whole thing was lace ... I'm not going to go into details, huh ...

That's what I understood - eek!

Christophe wrote:That's good, we're still looking for copywriters ...

Oh, hoho! It's a proposal ? : Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"