Greenwashing: too green to be honest?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Greenwashing: too green to be honest?

by Christophe » 11/09/08, 20:58

This "new" expression, greenwash or greenwashing deserves some explanation ...

Greenwashing, translated by greening or better green (brain) washing (green brainwashing), or how to give an image respectful of the environment of a company by different means: advertising, product ...

In pubs: polar bears, large open spaces, wind turbines, ice floes, sunflowers, trees, green leaves, greenery: here are the ways to wash our heads off from big brands such as EDF, Electrabel, Nokia, Ikea, Total; gdf and many others ... always with soft and almost captivating music ...

Only here: what is behind all this blah?

a) nuclear (EDF, electrabel, heat pump and geothermal ...)
b) disposable (nokia, ikea ...)
c) petroleum (total ...)
d) gas (gdf ...)

So watch out for those pubs that are too green to be honest, there is NO change in development strategy, it is just a green argument to be ... in "fashion" ...

The only thing that has changed to "green" is simply ... the instructions from the marketing director ...
0 x
chrisleblay
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by chrisleblay » 12/09/08, 01:13

An example of greenwashing: the electric car which recharges at nuclear. What interest ?
Besides on this subject the greenwashing of the nuclear cartel as "clean" energy is interesting.
I insist on nuclear because frankly or they had the head to turn magnets to make electricity starting from the collision of atom?
Frankly :!:

A +
Christophe (not yet greenwashed or greened and deprogrammed from the system for a long time)
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 12/09/08, 08:07

The oil company Shell was condemned on August 13 by the British advertising regulator following a complaint filed by the environmental organization WWF after the publication in the Financial Times of a closet touting its tar sands operations. Shell portrayed these operations as environmentally friendly projects.

Oil sands operations have "considerable social and environmental impacts, particularly in terms of water conservation, greenhouse gas emissions, landscape degradation and waste management" according to the conclusions of a study by the Canadian Energy Office, taken up by the British authorities in their judgment.

In the condemned ad, Shell praised its oil sands operations by claiming that "the challenge of the XNUMXst century was to meet the growing need for energy in a ... sustainable manner".

The misguided environmental argument

"Lie", "misleading advertising", said the British advertising regulator, since Shell used the term "sustainable development" without ever demonstrating why it was justified. Shell will therefore no longer have the right to use this advertisement.

I don't think this story scares other companies :?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 18/11/08, 09:21

here is which should please Christophe:
Pinocchio Prize for Sustainable Development
Vote to nominate the most cynical and hypocritical companies in terms of ecology!

Friends of the Earth is organizing the first edition of the Pinocchio Awards, which aim to highlight the hypocritical and cynical use of the concept of sustainable development by certain companies.

Vote for Areva on the Prix Pinocchio website: http://www.prix-pinocchio.org/nomines.php

Areva, the French manufacturer of nuclear reactors, is already nominated in two of the three competing categories:

- "Environment" prize: awarded to the company having generated the heaviest environmental impacts. Areva is nominated for repeated incidents at its facilities at the Tricastin site, which have enjoyed some media coverage since the start of the summer.

- "Greenwashing" prize: awarded to the company having carried out the most abusive and misleading communication campaign with regard to its actual activities. Areva is nominated for its false communication around the alleged virtues of nuclear power as part of the fight against climate change. For several months, the Network "Sortir du nuclear" has been carrying out its major information campaign "Neither nuclear nor greenhouse effect" to counter this propaganda: http://ninucleaire-nieffetdeserre.org/ . To disseminate information, order the campaign leaflet free of charge on the Network's online store: http://boutique.sortirdunucleaire.org/ .

The concept of sustainable development is now part of everyday language. But many players, including some French companies, unfortunately recovered it for purely cosmetic purposes. A committed discourse on sustainable development is therefore often used to mask the real impacts of their activities, while improving their image with customers and shareholders.

In 2008, almost no one contested the global environmental and social emergency. But companies, major economic players, have made too little progress in terms of social and environmental responsibility. It is necessary to put an end to double discourse. Who is lying? Who only has green as the cover of his sustainable development report?

The Pinocchio Awards will help hypocrisy and cynicism to be seen ... like the nose in the middle of the face!

Thank you for your participation !

Support the "Sortir du nuclear" Network by making an online donation on our site: http://www.sortirdunucleaire.org/dossie ... ligne.html
If you are taxable, you can deduct your donation from your taxes up to 66%. A donation of € 50 will then actually cost you only € 17.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/09, 15:01

Here are some ways to detect eco-opportunistic sales sites on the Internet:

a) make a whois on the domain name: www.whois.ws this will give the date of creation of the site: the more recent it is, the more chance it is of ecoloportunism! Especially if it is ONLY a shop with nothing else on the site!

b) look at who really manages these sites with the page "who are we" (or "contact us" or equivalent): often it comes from a business school or worse I have already seen former financiers or bankers .. . : Shock:

c) last but not least: compare the prices! but that I trust you, there are so many tools on the net to do it!

And beware if:

a) the more green there is on the screen, the more likely it is green propaganda to sell yourself better: count the% of area of ​​green colors on the screen!

b) they assure you, by putting it well forward, that they donate a% of their profits to environmental protection associations ... because even if it is true: it is a stupid trap and a commercial argument which I consider as an "incentive to the forced sale"!

ps: for other sites (not 100% boutique) and from a certain size: beware when there are no ads, this probably means that an interest group is behind ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 06/02/09, 15:22

chrisleblay wrote:An example of greenwashing: the electric car which recharges at nuclear. What interest ?

somewhat simplistic reasoning: see the many threads of discussion on the subject. you ride a bike I imagine?
0 x
Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/09, 15:49

He should have said:

the Zero Emission electric car that recharges with coal!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 06/02/09, 16:55

dirk pitt wrote:
chrisleblay wrote:An example of greenwashing: the electric car which recharges at nuclear. What interest ?
somewhat simplistic reasoning: see the many threads of discussion on the subject. you ride a bike I imagine?

Of course my opinion is not neutral ... But who says electric car does not mean 100% nuclear car.
Finally, even 100% nuclear an electric car is "greener" than a gasoline car in terms of CO2 balance and many other aspects.
On the problem of nuclear waste, some experts estimate that an electric car recharged at night during off-peak hours uses kilowatt hours of overproduction and makes it possible to smooth this production and therefore to reduce buffer production with coal, fuel oil or gas. .. :?

The overall efficiency of an electric vehicle is anyway higher than that of thermal vehicles.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 06/02/09, 18:38

citro, I admire your tenacity, I'm tired of saying the same things over and over again.
it's nothing, I have to make a little depression. It's been all week since I couldn't take the scootelec to go to work.
0 x

Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/09, 18:41

dirk pitt wrote:citro, I admire your tenacity, I'm tired of saying the same things over and over again.

Welcome to the club ...
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"