Pamplemousses (pomelos) from Corsica: what are they worth?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Pamplemousses (pomelos) from Corsica: what are they worth?

by Christophe » 03/07/15, 17:00

I bought my first Corsican grapefruits ... I knew there were Corsican clementines but it was the first time I saw grapefruits! Zou! I had to drop!

So I took a few ...

Price: slightly higher (a few tens of cents per piece, unfortunately I no longer have the receipt) than grapefruits from Israel or Florida, but consuming more locally and more sustainably is worth this extra cost!

Chemistry: not treated after harvest according to the label = less chemical than those from more distant imports!

Taste quality: slightly less sweet than those of Florida but their flesh is much, much, firmer! Me who were used to those of import, at the beginning it is quite strange ... Maybe because they have ripened longer on the tree?

In short to make a fruit salad or other cut they are widely recommended!

I would take it again (if I see it again because the quantity must still be limited)

ps: can someone explain to us why we talk about Pomelos more than Grapefruit now?
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 03/07/15, 17:25

Christophe wrote:can someone explain to us why we talk about grapefruit more than grapefruit now?
Historically, there is a confusion between the grapefruit tree (citrus maxima: Asian tree whose fruit is yellow-green, with thick skin, bitter and acidic) and another hybrid (citrus paradisi) which gives what we called grapefruit ... (see Wikipedia)

Depending on the country, the names grapefruit and pomelo are sometimes reversed ...

Maybe globalization is going through this to offer us a consistent naming :?:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 04/07/15, 17:27

Personally Corsica made me there, insulted, stoned, threatened, and spat on when I was even in a summer camp ... I have very bad memories of it ... If their aoc on their grapefruit is also wormy than that of their charcuterie and their wines ... There is a good chance that you bought grapefruits which come from Morocco or Spain which passed through their homes to be repackaged and resold at golden prices ...

Sorry, but Corsicans are more famous for scamming than for working hard in orchards ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/07/15, 00:41

An orchard works almost alone, doesn't it?

qED

: Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"