Tips: buy better

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Tips: buy better

by Christophe » 18/09/06, 22:06

Some advice to reduce the economic impact of your purchases. Your wallet and the environment will win!

Generalities

# Use biodegradable and / or reusable bags several times or other means of transport for your goods (shopping bags, crates ...). Most hypermarkets now offer alternative and more practical solutions to the classic plastic bag.

# Pay attention to the packaging, as follows:

- Avoid small packages (see unit packages) and multiple packages (some products have 3 or 4 "layers" of packaging). Examples: certain brioches, individual dishes, certain fruits wrapped in cellophane, new "marketing" products in unit packs ...
- Buy products in bulk or in larger quantities of packaging, even if you want to repackage them at home.
- Take into account the nature of the "packaging": prefer biodegradable packaging (paper, cardboard) or better recyclable (glass, metal, milk cartons ...) rather than plastic packaging ... If possible, prefer packaging recorded.

- Prefer products with possible refill. Still quite rare (some cleaning products) this idea nevertheless allows savings (financial and environmental: econological) at the packaging level.

# Seasonality: favor the purchase of seasonal fruits and vegetables, which require less treatment and transport.

# Regionality: encourage the purchase of local products. Here too, less transport and ecological logistics costs. Examples: fresh and seasonal products of course, but also certain clothes. Do not forget that the "ugly" globalization is also created (and maintained) by us consumers wanting ever cheaper products ...

# Read the label of your products, in particular to find:

- origin
- treatments performed
- beware of labels, there are a multitude of them and not all are equivalent. The NF-Environment mark or the European eco-label offer a good compromise, for example. They point to products that are both more efficient and more respectful of the environment.

# Favor small local traders (those that still exist), local markets and, if possible, direct sales to producers. Do not forget that using your vehicle for small urban journeys is catastrophic for your wallet and the environment.

# Group your purchases: try to space your "big groceries" in hypermarkets to buy in larger quantities, even if it means returning more often to the greengrocer or the grocer near you

The following : https://www.econologie.com/achats-durabl ... -1972.html
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 06 / 08, 13: 09, 1 edited once.
1 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Tips: buy better

by Woodcutter » 19/09/06, 18:09

Christophe wrote:Some advice to reduce the economic impact of your purchases. Your wallet and the environment will win![...] # Seasonality: favor the purchase of seasonal fruits and vegetables, which require less treatment and transport.
In this regard, beware of "organic supermarket" ... For example, we find completely out of season (but not only) fruits from Argentina or New Zealand, even though they can be grown in France or at least in Europe. It may be organic but it's not good at all in environmental terms ... :(
The only exception: bananas, since in any case there are none in mainland France.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 18:16

Exact and to drive the nail a little further: the 4 organic apples under xelophane in an expanded polystyrene floor I find it VERY MEDIUM !! : Evil:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 19/09/06, 20:30

Mine are in a "carton mache" tray: mrgreen: and I also have tomatoes with a "compostable" envelope, but I don't know at all what it's made of, it looks like a plastic but very noisy when crumpled ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 21:51

Uh I did not say that I bought those under xelophane eh !!
Jprefere of non organic seasonal and local production and without packaging in this case !! No but !!

Is your plastic transparent? It must be plastic based on corn starch ... have you already tested the real biodegradability of the stuff?
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 19/09/06, 23:19

There are 3 different manufacturing methods:
In some cases, bio plastics are produced directly from whole plants (corn, in this case).
In other cases, the raw material is starch extracted from cereals (wheat or corn) or potato. This starch is itself in turn transformed (destructured then recomplexed) to be converted into a thermoplastic material.
Finally, a third route starts from glucose (a product itself derived from starch) and involves successive transformations into lactic acid (by fermentation) then into poly lactic acid (PLA).

Biodegradable plastic from beet
http://www.domsweb.org/ecolo/plastique-bio.php

potato
http://www.infos-dieppoises.fr/Archives ... dables.htm

Starches:
Plastics based on plant materials
Corn starch, Potato starch
The products produced are compostable
OK Compost Label
EN13432 standard

Waste file: https://www.econologie.com/nos-poubelles ... -2587.html
1 x
Charlotte
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Charlotte » 23/10/06, 23:02

I just read this document on packaging: https://www.econologie.com/dechets-les-e ... -3855.html which suggests the use of reusable boxes, for example for tea and coffee.

Small econological challenge: who has ever dared to go to the supermarket with their plastic bags to put vegetables in bulk, or to the tea shop with their boxes to have them filled directly?

Not me ... But if I knew I was not alone in doing it ... : Oops:
0 x
Ptitekine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

ecomomy and ecology

by Ptitekine » 30/06/08, 13:06

it is quite a good idea to shop this way. Besides, now I'm going to do so in order to consider all these factors when buying on SPAM for example. It's better to reconcile economy and ecology ...
0 x
no thanks!
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/08, 13:14

Stop this game please ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 09/07/08, 22:42

:frown: who are paid for that?
0 x