All about compost: composting guide

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

All about compost: composting guide

by Christophe » 22/12/06, 16:31

Another excellent dossier produced by the Walloon region

THE UNDESIRABLE!
WHAT TO AVOID COMPOSTING

Plants planted as seeds and the fruits of certain trees or shrubs (hornbeam, etc.) because the seeds do not decompose until the compost reaches a temperature of 60 °. Otherwise, you would scatter unwanted plants with your compost there. : Shock:

Coal ash: they are too rich in mineral salts and have a herbicidal effect in the compost. : Shock:

Practical guide to composting

Consumer-durable / how well-composted waste-its-t3892.html

ps: for a little while I have been wondering about the methane released, under certain conditions, by some (large) heap of compost ... at the greenhouse effect level wouldn't it be worse to compost than to incinerate?
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 11 / 10, 18: 56, 3 edited once.
0 x
jr
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jr » 26/12/06, 22:31

during the production of the compost, part of the vegetable matter is broken down into co2 and methane which will gradually transform into co2. but this plant material is made from atmospheric co2, so we only put back into the atmosphere the co2 that was there before.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 24/11/10, 18:37

I do not know if it can be useful to someone, in any case I share my experience. I posted the same thing on a forum dedicated rather oriented community / associative composting of city.

http://www.reseaucompost.org/forum/

copy:

This summer, on private property, we operated with dry toilets.
We empty them in a composter.
After 2 months of use, with an average of 4 people the composter was almost 80% full (about 1 / 2m3) by the dry toilets.
I went back 3 months later, the result is very good, it can be a little too dry. Composting is done at 3/4, it does not smell bad.
there are very few worms but a lot of woodlice. It is undoubtedly them which degraded the sawdust.
Voila, if that tempts you .....! :D
0 x