The marketing aberrations of the consumer society

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

The marketing aberrations of the consumer society

by Christophe » 13/12/17, 21:12

Okay, here I am opening this subject to denounce the aberrations and other absurdities of our marketing company ... to make "money" at all costs ...

First candidate, the 2 potatoes in field dress (er is Belgian? I was taught in a robe ... or so I never understood ?????) in plastic from Delhaize (Belgium ):

Delhaize_potato.jpg
Delhaize_patate.jpg (56.74 KB) Viewed 5778 times

I can't even imagine the machine that will choose the 2 potatoes that make 450g stack ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

Re: The marketing aberations of the CONSUMPTION company

by Christophe » 14/12/17, 00:15

For your WC I offer:

The automatic seat : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: take advantage, great promo !!

WC_automatic.jpg
WC_automatique.jpg (110.28 KiB) Consulted 5753 times

Do not forget the backup battery (useful in case of urgent desire!) : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

WC_automatic_battery.jpg
WC_automatique_batterie.jpg (54.02 KiB) Consulted 5753 times

And to brighten up all of this, the bowl pilot ...

WC_LED.jpg
WC_LED.jpg (248.15 KB) Consulted 5753 times

I don't know if I should laugh or cry about it ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 14/12/17, 10:48

To support Christophe's comment, I can testify that on various projects on which I have worked with teams of engineers, or simply students of engineering schools, I have often been surprised to hear that he It was preferable to ease off on R&D to rely more on Marketing!

As much, if these students had been students of business schools, I would have understood, but coming from engineering students of technical training, it is in my opinion a deviation of their training, even if we must not forget the commercial aspect of a product. Before, there was a balance between the Technical and the Commercial, like 2 checks and balances that lead to balance. Now it is money that gives directions and decisions.

Translation : It is better to make a bogus, fragile and cheap product and sell more, rather than a good product which will be more difficult to sell and which will last a long time! (To some extent "planned obsolescence" is taught to future young engineers).

Some technical training students have told me clearly that their teaching is based sometimes on the commercial side rather than the technical side of their work.
For example, for certain important mechanical parts, it is recommended to make it more complex, or even to create an essential tool for its assembly / disassembly to artificially increase sales by derivative products, and generate in addition compulsory training for mechanics.

This is also a recurring criticism that we hear about certain advanced technical schools, namely that their teaching moves away from the technical foundations to succumb to the siren song of commerce and marketing.
Lately, I heard a polytechnic engineer (an "X") criticize certain choices of his school which now provided training on finance which encouraged newly graduated engineers to join the world of banking and speculation to create financial products complex and very juicy.
2 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 14/12/17, 11:24

the food industry is, I think, the champion of all categories in terms of commercial debility!

for example we sell you at the price of semolina in a tray to reheat 2 minutes in the microwave while the dry pre-cooked semolina takes ... 2 minutes in the microwave to prepare : roll:

and if there was only that, I pass on the rice in sachet and other debility of the kind it is appalling!
In addition the majority of these foods are in permanent contact with plasticizers which I personally am very wary of, it would not surprise me that their generalization in contact with food poses major public health concerns in the years to come.

In short, I flee more and more from the prepared flat shelves of the large distribution, so much stupidity tires me deeply! :(
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/17, 11:35

Grelinette wrote:I was often surprised to hear that it was better to ease off on R&D to rely more on Marketing!

Very good comment my dear greli! To have trained as an "energy mechanic" engineer between 1998 and 2001 ... marketing we had done very little (I vaguely remember accounting and industrial psychology courses ... this is what brought the more marketing).

In fact, we were trained as a performer more than a manager or an entrepreneur (which I tend to be personally), so develop and implement specifications, do sizing and various checks but not at all to develop the marketing strategy ...

So the training had to evolve ...Unfortunately, that does not surprise me, I am still part of the "old guard" and have not had the right to this kind of speech ...

In Western Europe, we produce less and less industrially ... except in the food industry and high technology. I recently learned by chance that the Deville stoves had disappeared, yet they were quite famous! Another "French industrial history" which collapses ... It saddens me, France is killing all of its industrial heritage ... so it is "logical" (but sad all the same) that the formations adapt ...

So really your remark does not surprise me at all.

Small marketing parenthesis: I am watching the good Madmen series that I recommend to all, it follows an advertising agency during the years 60-75 ... it is especially for the evolution of society in these years that c 'is interesting.

For example: they had to adapt to the arrival of TV, obviously some old decision-makers of the agency did not believe it at all at the beginning, we also saw the assassinations of Kennedy and Luther King, the beginning of the end of racial discrimination, we also see that money was flowing freely at the time (a designer-creator executive could buy an apartment in New York for 18 months' salary ... in short in less than 3- 4 years taking care) ... in short historically it's done well! Ah yes and what did it booze in the offices (on this point it reminds a little of the very good also 99frs with Dujardin) !! : Mrgreen:

3 TOP10 of the series:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/17, 11:38

Lolounette wrote:for example we sell you at the price of semolina in a tray to reheat 2 minutes in the microwave while the dry pre-cooked semolina takes ... 2 minutes in the microwave to prepare : roll:

Ah I do not know this one, if you see again, take a photo and send it here (note valid for all ...) :)

Lolounette wrote:In addition the majority of these foods are in permanent contact with plasticizers which I personally am very wary of, it would not surprise me that their generalization in contact with food poses major public health concerns in the years to come.

Just and we find almost that, and it annoys me, when I buy it (without doing it on purpose) well I transfer the sachet before cooking for health reasons, not want to eat phthalates or bisphenol with my rice : Mrgreen:

Lolounette wrote:In short, I flee more and more from the prepared flat shelves of the large distribution, so much stupidity tires me deeply! :(

Sachet rice is a staple food .... fortunately there are still alternatives.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/17, 11:42

With its clementines in cellophane, Carrefour (Brazil) had been strong, I found it here: https://www.spi0n.com/actu-animee-tranc ... barquette/

slices-clementine-tangerine-epluche-tray-carrefour.jpg
slices-clementine-mandarin-peel-barquette-carrefour.jpg (219.94 KB) Consulted 5734 times

(a little raw but good ...)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/12/17, 12:12

To follow up on the relevant remarks of GrelinetteIt is quite normal, evolutionarily speaking, for marketing to take precedence over technique, since the latter is only the means, while the finality is the abstract value which can only be achieved through exchange . No matter what we sell, as long as the transaction can take place ...

You write:
For example, for certain important mechanical parts, it is recommended to make it more complex, or even to create a tool essential for its assembly / disassembly

This is called "locking", which effectively ensures exclusivity. I remember my first small grinder, a "Black and Decker" that I had bought hastily (there was only this brand left) and I quickly regretted it: the bore * of the discs was non-standard and it was necessary therefore necessarily use discs stamped with the mark; I got rid of the machine fairly quickly for a standard model, since all the other brands line up on a common bore ...
Fortunately, for a lot of tools, there is a certain standardization, because it is also a criterion for choosing vigilant buyers.

* Bore = diameter of the plate receiving the disc and centering it on the drive axis.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

Re: The marketing aberrations of the CONSUMPTION company

by Christophe » 26/12/17, 12:51

Not really aberrations but marketing flop (therefore can also be seen as aberrations but not in the sense of the creation of this subject ...) which are gathered at the "Museum of Chess", they are however often large companies behind: http://bfmbusiness.bfmtv.com/entreprise ... 47682.html

Blak Cola I knew it: I liked ... too much the monopoly trump, not far from the humor of strangers !!

Harley Eau de Toilette I also think I used, :)

The scanner mouse is the ancestor of QR Codes, just like the Apple Newton is smartphones ...

One of the first marketing rules is not to be right too soon :)

10 other marketing bids:

0 x